Friday, October 12, 2007

What the? Genesis 6 and the "sons" of God

Recently I engaged in a conversation with some graduate students on the subject of Genesis 6:1-12. The main question revolved around the identity of the "sons" of God in the passage who evidently engaged in illicit relations with humans with disastrous results. Jewish tradition (and Christian, too) tends to view these "sons" of God as angelic beings, but the context of the passage doesn't give a clear indication. The discussion still rages in the office.

That being said, I discovered a document the other day that appears to come from one of my colleagues. It is a collection of student responses to the query above. I thought I'd share them as they are quite funny.

1. In Genesis 6:1-4 one is introduced to the "sons of God"; who went on to inhabit the daughters of men.

2. Concerning the identification of the "sons of God," one student states, "The popular views have strong weaknesses." (I guess that is better than weak strengths, huh?)

3. Still another student opines, "The offspring mentioned in Genesis 6 can still be considered men; there is no evidence that they held great supernatural powers or were half-breads." (I guess they were multigrains instead of whole wheat!)

4. Another student wrote, "The 'sons of God' were great men of God who were caught up in the daughters of men." (I'm tangled, and I can't get loose?)

5. One student asked, "Can angles take a human form?" (I'm not sure, but I thought I saw a human triangle once)

6. Another student affirmed, "Angles can not marrie or be married to." (I guess there are only single angles)

7. And last, but by far a favorite, "The second view is that the sons of God were fallen angels of some kink . . ." (No comment!)

Well, there you have it--mystery settled! I hope these made you smile, they did it for me!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: