Friday, September 21, 2007

And now, an honest appraisal of our worth . . .

Today I am reminded that life isn’t a sprint, it isn’t even really a marathon. No, life is more of a journey, a wandering, if you will, through various places in search of the place where we belong. We travel, we sojourn in this world looking for that special place, that special task to which we are called. Like Hercules, we labor through our struggles, sometimes utilizing an almost superhuman power to accomplish the “trials” of our lives in an effort to prove somehow the worth of each breath we take, the value of each thought, even the inherent worth of our own existence. We labor, we travel, we worry, and yet we humans seldom seem to find that place of rest, that place of contentment where all things are in harmony, where we feel “at home.”

What is it about us that makes so many of us feel the need to travel, to labor incessantly in an effort to prove our own worth? At which point in our lives did we fall so far from the recognition of our value as God sees it? Let me put it this way—if you have a valuable piece of jewelry, to whom do you take it to have it appraised? The jeweler or the street peddler and huckster? Reasonable people will take their treasures to the jeweler for an honest or fair appraisal. Why? Simply because the jeweler is a professional, trained in his area of expertise to offer an honest appraisal. In other words, he knows his craft and knows the value of the otherwise insignificant trinkets presented to him. He looks through his glass and sees worth in what appears to us mere costume jewelry. He declares its worth, and we cling to our now treasured possession as though it were a king’s ransom.

Let me share a story from my own life—I read comics. That won’t surprise my friends out there who are aware that I haven’t outgrown this seemingly juvenile past time. In my years of reading comics, I have kept thousands of them in bags and boxes for future reading. As a youngster, I had no idea that some of those comics would one day be valuable. I simply kept them because I liked to read them. One day while in seminary, my mother informed me that a young man in my childhood neighborhood wanted to start a comic collection, and he wanted to look at and possibly purchase some of mine. I hadn’t read them in a while, and I figured I could use the money, so I agreed. The young fellow and I met at my mother’s house at the designated time and day. We agreed to some prices, and he began his shopping spree. When he left he seemed happy, and I had a few extra bucks in my pocket. But the story doesn’t end there.

A few years later I was in a comic shop in Bowling Green, KY. Behind the counter a comic was displayed, but it was an unusual comic in that it had a price tag of about $400 attached to it. It was an Incredible Hulk story in which the X-Men character Wolverine made his first appearance. I remembered that I owned that comic, and after verifying with the shop owner that he would indeed pay me $400 for the comic, I made plans to visit my mother soon. When I got home, I went straight to the comics and looked for my treasure. Did you guess yet? Yes, I sold that comic to the young man a few years prior. I think I may have gotten a couple of dollars for it! Two dollars compared to four hundred dollars! I almost cried.

Then I remembered, that comic had little value to me until an “expert” told me how valuable it was (after all, I only paid 25 cents for it originally!). To bring this back to our topic, I think that sometimes so many of us work so hard to “prove” our worth because we have been listening to the wrong “experts” regarding our value. The Jeweler who makes all humans sees our true value, and I am willing to bet that you are more valuable to him than you might think. Why do I say that? It is actually very simple—the great Cosmic Jeweler or Comic Expert loves you enough to exchange His own Son for you. He only has one Son, but He is willing to give that unique possession to purchase you, a pearl of great price. God’s view of our worth is so much better than our own. I know I need to check in with Him more often before I trade what I consider my “cheap comic book” life for a paltry sum instead of the invaluable amount it is worth in God’s eyes. It's worth thinking about, right?

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Prof., Just wanted to check our your site and am glad that I did. I was interested in seeing something of your inner motives, passions, or thoughts. I can identify in that it seems that I constantly struggle for the acceptance and approval of others (not sure if this is for acceptance or for pure recognition). I do at times forget from where I can and do draw my self-worth. When we see (as best we can) our worth from God's perspective (sacrifice of His Son)we are awed and humbled, and in a very real way our priorities are changed to striving for those things that have eternal worth rather than for the temporal. I look forward to reading more. Oh, by the way, will this count for a discussion board response..... no? ... ok .... just asking. SHANE NBST 652