Thursday, June 21, 2007

Knowing Jesus

“God has made me bread for his elect, and if it be needful that the bread must be ground in the teeth of the lion to feed His children, blessed be the name of the Lord.” Ignatius

“We must be put to the flame before we can burn brightly. When we
cease to bleed, we cease to bless.” Anonymous

This morning my attention was drawn especially to Philippians 3:10, where Paul reminds his beloved friends that his goal is to know Jesus in the dynamic power of his resurrection, in the fellowship of his sufferings, and in the likeness of his death. That word translated “becoming like him” or “becoming conformed” to his death has me puzzled. Usually, folks note that this reference has to do with the Christian dying to the carnal nature, to the flesh. Yet, Jesus had no flesh or sin nature, did he?

I mean, to what death of Jesus am I being conformed?

Jesus’ death on a cross represents his personal humility, his willingness to take on my sin and sinfulness, his grace to take my place, his mercy. The cross is the place of sacrifice, a place where one loses all sense of self-importance or arrogance. It is a cruel instrument of death, a place where all humans are equal. I am called (or encouraged, at least) by Paul to “be conformed” to death on the cross. Jesus, the very glory and righteousness of God, willingly chose to become sin for me. That is the message of the cross.

Note also that as he died (innocently, I might add), he did not blame those around him. No cries of recrimination emitted from his mouth. No angry shouts of “It’s not fair!” or “I’ll get you for this!” No, on the cross there is only mercy.

Except for the quote of Psalm 22 (“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me!”), there is no indication on the cross that Jesus thought of his own situation. His focus was on the job at hand, on the salvation and mercy he was producing for others. His focus was on those around him—the two thieves, his mother, his disciples, even the angry mob. Jesus died on the cross with little or no thought about himself.

This, then, is the likeness of his death—-being willing to bear any burden, even death itself, for the benefit and blessing of others. As Paul says to Timothy, being conformed to the likeness of Jesus’ death is “being poured out” as an offering for others. Consider that, when you are tempted to cry out in dismay or to fight back in anger.

This is not an easy task to which we are called. In fact, this call is one of the most difficult things to which a child of God can aspire. But if I am to be a follower of Christ, how can I hope to attain to his resurrection power if I refuse to stoop to his humility? How can I hope to reign with him if I am unwilling to bleed with him? As Paul notes in Romans 8:18-19 "The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him."

Paul even tells the Philippians in chapter 2 that we should have the same attitude as Jesus, an attitude that includes looking out for the needs and interests of others in a humble manner while considering others as more important than ourselves. I don't mean a false humility that smiles inwardly as a person "pretends" to be unimportant outwardly. I mean a genuine unselfish approach that requires us to measure our worth by God's estimation and not our own. This humility is a recognition that God's business is more important than any other enterprise.

Being conformed to Jesus’ death means to endure willingly any sacrifice that may bring blessing, life, or salvation to another. It means placing my selfish desires on the altar of sacrifice to do what God asks in order that others may see his love, his grace, his salvation, his blessing. Are we willing? Can we do it? Even the great apostle later says in Philippians 3, “I have not yet attained to it, but I press on.” Press on today. Seek to be like Jesus. What would Jesus do? He’d die for you.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: