Sunday, May 03, 2009

A Repeat: "You Will Go Free" by Tonio K

I posted this one a while back, but I wanted to rerun it for the fun of it. Enjoy!

For those of you who don't know Tonio K, all I can really offer is the following. I was an assistant manager at a Christian bookstore in Louisville, KY when I discovered this interesting and slightly different artist. He recorded two albums (that I know of) on the What? record label (distributed by Word music) and then he disappeared as mysteriously as he had appeared. For more on Tonio K. visit this site--
  • Tonio K
  • . At any rate, I was listening to his "Romeo Unchained" album today, and one of the songs struck me that I'd like to share with you all. The song is entitled "You Will Go Free" and seems to address the issue of fallenness and salvation. I'll let you be the judge. Here ya go:

    "You Will Go Free"
    by Tonio K.

    You've been a prisoner
    Been a prisoner all your life
    Held captive in an alien world
    Where they hold your need for love to your throat like a knife
    And they make you jump
    Yeah, they make you do tricks
    They take what started off such an innocent heart
    And they break it and break it and break it
    Until it almost can't be fixed

    Well I don't know when
    And I don't know how
    I don't know how long it's gonna take
    I don't know how hard it will be
    But I know
    You will go free

    You can call it the devil
    Call it the big lie
    Call it a fallen world
    Whatever it is, it ruins almost everything we try
    It's the sins of the fathes
    It's the choices we make
    It's people screaming without making a sound
    From prison cells in paradise
    Where we're chained to our mistakes

    And I don't know when
    And I don't know how
    I don't know how much it's gonna cost you
    Probably everything
    But I know
    You will go free

    You can't see your jailer
    You can't see the bars
    You can't turn your head around fast enough
    But it's everywhere you are
    It's all around you
    And everywhere you walk this prison yard surrounds you

    But in the midst of all this darkness
    Yeah in the middle of this night
    I see truth cut through the curtain like a laser
    Like a pure and holy light
    And I know I can't touch you now
    And I don't want to speak too soon
    But when we get sprung
    From out of these cages, baby
    God knows what we might do

    But I don't know when
    And I don't know how
    I don't know if you'll be leaving alone
    Or if you'll be leaving with me
    But I know
    You will go free

    Copyright 1986 N.Y.M. ASCAP/Bibo Music ASCAP

    Thanks for reading!

    4 comments:

    Brad Irons said...

    I love this song. I'm releasing a CD next month with a remake of it. It's an independent project, but it came out good. Let me know and I can email you a mp3 of the file.

    Leo Percer said...

    I'd love a copy, Dwayne! Next to Bob Dylan, Tonio K has got to be one of my favorite song writers. Thanks for the offer and the comment!

    Leo

    Pastor Chris said...

    I was a student at Judson College (now Judson University) in Elgin Il (near Chicago) from 1987 to 1991. During this time I worked on the campus radio station. We had the opportunity to interview Tonio, I remember him being warm, bright and funny. I wish I still had that tape somewhere! Anyway his song "Romeo loves Jane" goes through my mind often when doing marriage and pre marriage counselling. Love goes so wrong in this world so often! Thankis for reminding me of this album and this artist.

    Thom said...

    Found your post, after having found the song again on iTunes... (I was actually looking for I Handle Snakes). You might not remember that the song (and I think maybe the whole album) was produced by the now infamous T Bone Burnett, who sings back up on the tune.

    Tonio K. had an album (actually several) out before this one... my favorite being Life in the Foodchain.