Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Charles Wesley: "Depth of Mercy! Can there Be"

Today I wanted to share a hymn written by Charles Wesley. This song often speaks to my heart and reminds me of my utter need for the cross and atoning sacrifice of Christ. May it draw us all closer to our Lord's wounded side.

Depth of mercy! Can there be
Mercy still reserved for me?
Can my God his wrath forbear
And the chief of sinners spare?

I have long withstood his grace;
Long provoked him to his face;
Would not hear his gracious calls;
Grieved him by a thousand falls.

Jesus, answer from above;
Is not all thy nature love?
Wilt thou not the wrong forget?
Lo, I fall before thy feet.

Now incline me to repent;
Let me now my fall lament;
Deeply my revolt deplore,
Weep, believe, and sin no more.

Oh the depth of the wisdom and love of God, that he would continue to bear with fallen humans in patience and grace!

Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: