Thursday, July 01, 2010

A Moment of Contentment in a Crazy Week

Hey y'all:

Tonight the most amazing thing happened, and I wanted to share my thoughts here. The last week has been a bit crazy, and some events have occurred that have caused a bit of confusion, sadness, and even anger. I have been on an emotional roller coaster, and I asked God for a moment, something "calm." I was waiting for my children to get ready for bed, and my son went outside to ride his scooter for a while. He didn't return after his normal amount of time, I went looking for him. He was catching fireflies in the yard. I retrieved the "bug keeper" and joined him. Before long the sun went too far down to be any help in catching fireflies, so we sat on the bench on the front porch. We watched the last streaks of the sun go down, and as the fireflies danced in the night sky like embers from a glowing fire, my son began to tell me stories from the most recent Calvin and Hobbes collection he had been reading. In the distance, a dog barked, down the road some kids laughed, a car passed in front of our house, and I smiled. A smile of contentment. Yes, it felt really good! I laughed out loud and hugged the boy. God is so good. It wasn't much, but this isle of contentment was just the "jump start" I needed to perk up my hope. Like a nice double latte with extra shots, this caffeine of contentment spread through my veins and reminded me that no matter how difficult life may be, God is still in charge of our moments. My son, the dancing fireflies, the slowly descending sun, the dogs in the distance, stories about Calvin and Hobbes, and a moment to utter a contented sigh. Thanks, Father, for you kindness! May all my friends soon have a moment of contentment like this one!

No comments: