Tuesday, February 22, 2005

How difficult life can be . . .

I wanted to post something here that was witty and philosophical dealing with the issue of gender differences (our lecture in the most recent philosophy class), but I just received a couple of e-mails that changed all that. The fragility of life is a serious thing, as Scripture says our lives are like vapor. We are here for a moment and then gone. Here are the details.

I used to manage a bookstore in Waco, TX. One of our employees was a very intelligent young lady named Allison. Allison is a Christian who enjoys thinking deeply about the issues of life and faith. I found out today that Allison has an inoperable brain tumor. I don't know exactly how old Allison is (I would guess late 20's or early 30's), but I can tell you that this news is not good. Allison is a bright, ambitious, and talented woman whose life is seriously threatened. Pray for her healing. Pray for her friends and family.

I also received an e-mail from a friend (and, ironically enough, another former employee at a bookstore in Louisville, KY) that his wife's sister is dying of cancer as well. The doctors don't give her long to live. Her name is Ann. Ann is about my age (think over 40) and has two sons (one over 20 and the other 16, if I remember correctly). Ann has had problems with her health for years, and now she nears the end of this physical existence. Pray for her family and friends.

Life is fragile, ladies and gentlemen. We do not have a promise of tomorrow. I have tried to remind myself of that, but sometimes I forget. We are here for a short time, we should enjoy it and use it to the maximum purposes for God. Sigh, this is a tough news day. I'm sorry I don't have something cheery to share. May God bless us all with an awareness of our need of his love and life. You are important.

Keep the faith! Pray. Live life for God like today was your last opportunity.

Peace.

No comments: