Friday, February 11, 2005

Just some ramblin'

1 Peter 5:6-7

6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, 7 casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. (NASU)

“Be not anxious! Earthly possessions dazzle our eyes and delude us into thinking that they can provide security and freedom from anxiety. Yet all the time they are the very source of all anxiety. If our hearts are set on them, our reward is an anxiety whose burden is intolerable. Anxiety creates its own treasures and they in turn beget further care. When we seek for security in possessions we are trying to drive out care with care and the net result is the precise opposite of our anticipations. The fetters which bind us to our possessions prove to be cares themselves.” From The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Phil 3:19-21
20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; 21 who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself. (NASU)

What is it that they say about “good intentions”? I’ve had some good intentions about writing and keeping up my writing on this page, but here I am already struggling! Ah well, I guess that grace has no real statute of limitations (I hope!). The other day I really bombed in my philosophy class. Just when I think I have some ideas that will inspire or at least entertain the students, I seem to drop a bomb or something. I know that learning is a two way street; that is, they have to do their share in the process and I have to deliver a good product. That doesn’t make me feel any better. As Scarlett O’Hara said, however, “There is always tomorrow.”

Last night Lisa and I watched the comedy “Weekend at Bernies.” That movie has some really funny moments, and we practically laughed our heads off at times. The styles of clothes and hair were incredibly ‘80s oriented (since the movie debuted in 1989), and just remembering some of the styles was funny enough.

Heck, I’m just rambling here, I have nothing new to say really. It is a shame when the muse isn’t working. I’ve come up blank. Dang, I need to get into a real habit here.

Speaking of habits, nuns can be funny, can’t they? I mean, look at their outfits. Who knew that God was such a bad designer when it comes to clothes. Actually, I know that the reason they wear the habit is that they don’t want the attention drawn to them or their appearance, but isn’t it ironic how that is exactly what happens? The burkas in Afghanistan and other Muslim areas have the same effect, in my opinion. Far from keeping folks from looking, they invite looks at the people dressed so differently. Let’s be honest, you notice a nun in a habit or a woman in a burka. You can’t help it. The outfit screams “Look over here! I’m completely covered from head to toe so that you can’t ‘fantasize’ about me.” I’ll bet that Catholic and Muslim men still fantasize. What you wear doesn’t stop that habit (no pun intended)! At any rate, I’m just writing stream of consciousness here in an effort to jumpstart the brain, but it isn’t working. So I’ll stop with these words—Jesus loves me, this I know. Thank God!

No comments: