Monday, August 22, 2005

Consumed by fire . . .

Heb 10:19-27 (NASU)

19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; 24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

“Cells, as the monks call their rooms, has nothing to do with prison cells. ‘Cell’ comes from the Latin word cella, related to the word coelum, heaven, the place where one enjoys God.” From A Place Apart by M. Basil Pennington

Sometimes I think I see clearly when I really see through a mist, a fog of sorts. Just when I think I can adequately or even in some cases completely discuss certain aspects of God’s nature or desire for humanity, then I begin to see how far behind the curve I am on understanding God and his concern for this mud ball of a planet. His “surpassing riches” of grace, is how Paul mentions God’s focus on humans in Ephesians 1 and 2. God’s grace surpasses anything we can imagine. Think of that fact, we can think of large quantities of stuff, but we will never overwhelm the expanse of God’s kindness. We can fill warehouses, ships, houses, factories, but we can never quantify enough stuff to equal God’ great grace. John said in the first chapter of his Gospel that God has grace stacked up on grace (John 1:16). Picture an endless supply of your favorite thing, as far as the eye can see you are surrounded by that favorite item. It is stacked high and wide, stretching out over the whole horizon. That is how God’s grace is stacked for us!

What does all this talk of grace have to do with the Hebrews passage above? Simply this—Jesus says in a story that those who have forgiven much should also love much. We have all been forgiven much, if we are honest, and we should love Jesus in such a way as to forsake the old way of life for love of Christ. Think of it. We should willingly lay aside the pursuits of old “pleasures” so-called that conflict with the great grace and kindness of God that has led us to repentance. We should willingly lay aside the weight that burdens us or entangles our feet. Why? That is easy—it is the nature of the lover to be obsessed with the one loved. The lover seeks to be bound to and surrounded by the beloved. The lover is obsessed, nothing else can satisfy. The lover seeks to be imprisoned by the love for the beloved.

As Paul says, “When we are dead, we stop sinning.” If I am imprisoned in my love for Christ, then I should not invite into my cell the things that compete with my beloved. Oh, I do, yes indeed I do that very thing more often than I like to admit. The truth, however, is that if I was truly obsessed and impassioned by my love for Christ, these other things would be willingly destroyed, removed, and discarded from that sacred place of love I share with my beloved. Oh, that my heart would be aflame with his love yet again! Overwhelm me, beloved Christ, so that I might love as you love me.

“Like a Fire” by Dennis Jernigan

Like a fire that cannot be quenched by the rain
Though the winds rise against it they’ll not quench this flame
For this fire of love burns where eyes cannot see
In the heart of Lord Jesus the King of you and me

Chorus:
And oh, how he loves me
His love for me burns like a fire
And oh, how he loves me
For he loves me with holy desire
For he loves me with holy desire

Such a holy and true flame was sent to the cross
By the King who would love me no matter the cost
For his life was consumed for my sin in the flame
But the grave was defeated, his love could not be contained

Chorus:
And oh, how you love me
Your love for me burns like a flame
And oh, how you love me
For you love me with holy desire
For you love me with holy desire

You are Lord over heaven and Lord over earth
You are Lord of creation and Lord of new birth
You are mighty in battle, King Jesus my Lord
You are gentle and loving and worthy to be adored

Chorus:
And, oh, how I love you
My love for you burns like a fire
And, oh, how I love you
Lord Jesus, you’re my heart’s desire
Lord Jesus, you’re my heart’s desire

Thanks for reading!

No comments: