Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Shut up and listen!

For the most part of the book of Job, Job states his case forcefully and well that he is suffering without cause, that he has done no wrong to deserve his suffering. He even makes the bold statement, “Would that there was a mediator between me and God, then I’d state my case!” When God shows up, however, Job does not present his case. The story of Job tells us that that righteous, perfect man “put his hand on his mouth” after hearing God.

How often do we rush into the Almighty’s presence to “state our case” before him! Like Job, we have a just cause to promote, an injustice to prevent or overcome, or a problem to solve. We rush to God and argue our case, and sometimes in the midst of our arguments we find ourselves screaming so loud that we miss the most important part of the story—God is speaking. And the only proper response to the voice of God is silence. Shut up! Put your hand on your mouth! Listen!

After hearing God’s side, Job states, “I have spoken things too wonderful for me,” and he repented. Notice that Job’s repentance didn’t come after a change in his circumstances. Oh, he was still seated on the ash heap, still scraping his sores, still in physical and emotional misery—-none of that had changed a bit!

What changed? Well, instead of hearing the droning of his own pitiful voice, Job heard God. God spoke! God addressed Job! The God of Creation, who holds the stars in the palm of his hand, spoke openly and directly to Job. Job’s response was to close his mouth. His case, his problems no longer seemed paramount. God is speaking so all activity must cease. “Be still, and know that I am God.”

What did God say? Did he speak nice words of hope and encouragement to Job?

Not really, what he did was to question Job. He cross-examined Job in the greatest court of law.

No wonder Job was smart enough to be quiet! The greatest Lawyer and Law-Giver in the universe was grilling him.

“Job,” God says, “I want you to give me wisdom since you seem to be so smart. Where were you when I created the universe? Where were you when I separated land and sea? When I scattered stars in the sky? When I overthrew Leviathan and Behemoth? You were there, right, you are so wise, so tell me!”

God essentially told Job—“I am God, and you aren’t.” It might seem like a harsh message given Job’s circumstances, but it is true and in some ways it is comforting too. God is in charge, he sees all the angles, not me. God is the Creator, the Sustainer, the Advocate, the Mediator, the Lover, and he wants me to remember even in my darkest hour that he knows what is important and why things are going the way they are.

He may not explain himself to me, but he will come and remind me who is God. He will comfort me with the assuring words that he knows what he is doing. I may want to argue, to tell him how horribly wrong he is, but I know in my heart that the proper response is to be still, to put my hand on my mouth and let God be God. He doesn’t need my advice, my counsel, even though he asks for my cooperation. God is good, and he is God. Be still, and know that today.

Thank you, Father, for the timely reminder. Today, help us to find pools of silence in an otherwise busy day so that we can hear you talking to us.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: