Tuesday, March 07, 2006

What is important?

Recently I have been privy to some debates between Christians on the issue of Calvinism and Arminianism, or the sovereignty of God vs. Free Will. Growing up as a traditional Southern Baptist, I recognize that Baptist history is notoriously schizophrenic on the issue--we are Arminians until you get saved and Calvinists afterward. In all honesty, in all my years as a Christ-follower, I haven't really changed that perspective much. As one of my professors used to say, "Somedays I'm Calvinist, other days I'm an Arminian." I realize that some of you would probably like me to make a choice, so go ahead and try to convince me if you must.

I have come to recognize that Scripture uses language full of tension--there is the language of choice (e.g., "Choose you this day," "Whoever believes" etc.) and there is the language of election (do you really need examples?). That tension has not really proven a difficult thing for me. In fact, more difficult than the tension in the biblical language is the fact that Christians I respect tend to see it as some kind of badge or victory to beat each other up over the issue. I mean, God gives us this perfectly good armor to wear and with which to fight the enemy of our souls, and we spend more time attacking each other with it (or else we spend our time polishing it and commenting on how powerful it looks) rather than getting out there and using it for its proper purpose.

All of this is basic introduction for an epiphany I had this morning. As I was driving to work, I was listening to an old cassette I made (appropriately entitled "Rock Warfare") on which I had recorded songs about music and spiritual warfare from several different Christian bands of the 70s and 80s. One song that caught my attention was from DeGarmo and Key (and, no, it wasn't JUST because these fellow are from Memphis, TN). The song is "Up on a Cross," and I wanted to share the lyrics with you. Think of the music as Rock Ballad and hum along.

"Up on a Cross"
Words and Music by Eddie DeGarmo and Dana Key
on Street Light
Copyright 1986

You say I must not sing or dance
They say the Spirit must come through
You say that I must be immersed
They say a sprinkling will do

(Chorus)
Will you still love me after I choose?
Doesn't the issue stand upon this truth?
Up on a cross he died for sinners
Up on a cross between two thieves
Up on a cross he died for you and me

You say a man has a free will
They say he isn't really free
You pray exactly what you feel
They memorize their liturgy

(Chorus)
Will you still love me after I choose?
Doesn't the issue stand upon this truth?
Up on a cross he died for sinners
Up on a cross between two thieves
Up on a cross he died for you and me

I heard the Devil's voice today

It is that last line that got me.

"I heard the Devil's voice today."

DeGarmo and Key do not define the "devil's voice." I don't think that they meant to implicate either side of the debate above.

I think that the "Devil's Voice" is a reference to our quibbling and fighting.

Ouch!

As a philosopher and a professor of Biblical Studies, that hurts.

I quibble a lot.

I hope in the future that any arguments I may have with my brothers and sisters will be over what is really important and not over doctrinal systems developed a few hundred years ago.

Here are my irreducible minimums--(1) the authority of Scripture and (2) the role of Jesus Christ in bringing humans and God together in salvation.

Let's talk, but remember, no quibbling. (grin)

I don't want to speak with the devil's voice.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: