Monday, April 28, 2014

Some Thoughts on T-Bone Burnett and God's Relentless Love

I saw a post a while back about God's relentless love, and it sent my mind reeling back to 1987. T-Bone Burnett released an album entitled "The Talking Animals" on which he released songs co-written by several well known artists. In fact, one song was by Bono and another by Dylan. He had one song in particular that struck me as related to the idea of God's relentless love. The song is "Relentless" and was co-written with Kerry Livgren (yes, of Kansas fame). Here are the lyrics. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts!

Relentless

I stand and tremble in the driving rain
while your love rages like a hurricane

i can't break the silence as you still the wind
but i can hear you breathing underneath my skin

i am defenseless almost senseless you are relentless

i reel and stagger in the blinding light
while your love flashes like a lightening strike

so i find the darkness where i grow afraid
but i cannot shake you and the blackness fades

i am defenseless almost senseless you are relentless

you are relentless
this mercy convulses my pride
you are relentless
i find you wherever i hide
you are relentless
i have got nothing to win
and so i give in

i run and stumble as the mountains shake
while your love blazes like a world in flames

to shoot all fear into the desert sky
as stars fall like water through the dead of night

i am defenseless almost senseless you are relentless
When you think of "relentless," what comes to mind?  Someone who does not give up?  Someone who keeps coming no matter how many obstacles are thrown in the way?

Have you ever known someone who was relentless in their pursuit of something or someone?

When I think of this song, I can't help but reflect on God's continued pursuit of a relationship with humanity.  In spite of the number of times we have tried to avoid him, no matter how often we try to hide from him; God continues to pursue us in spite of ourselves. 

He not only pursues, he became one of us.  His relentless love was such that he couldn't stay away from us.  He joined us.  He became human.

In doing so, he humbled himself.  His love was revealed in this way:  The One who created all of us became a servant to all of us.  And he continues to pursue us for this reason--to serve us, to love us, to pour out his relentless love on us.

In Psalm 139, David says, "How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You."  He is so overwhelmed with God's relentless pursuit that he says, "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it."  

Do we understand how relentless God is in his grace and love?  Do we really get it?  If so, how should we respond?  How will our lives change if we center them on this idea of God's relentless love?

I'd like to find out!  May we all learn to yield to and live by God's relentless love!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: