Monday, May 05, 2014

Some Ramblings about James the Less

I've been staring at a blank page for some time trying to think of something to write.  I made a commitment to write on my blog at least 3 times a month, and I seem to keep finding excuses not to do it.  So, I'm tired of staring at a blank page, and I'm writing something.

The other day I offered some advice to one of my PhD students.  I said that one way to "jumpstart" the dissertation process is to make a commitment to sit and write some every day.  Even if it is just a "stream of consciousness" kind of typing, just sit and type. 

So, here I sit, and here I type.

Some things that have passed through my mind lately:  Did you ever notice how many "James" there were in Jesus' circle?  There was James (the brother of John) who was part of the inner circle.  There was also a James the son of Alphaeus.  There was Jesus' own brother named James.  There was even one disciple who was a son of a James.  But the one person named "James" who stands out for me is "James the Less."  Some people think that "James the Less" and "James the son of Alphaeus" are the same.  Church tradition tells us that he lived in Galilee.  He apparently preached in Palestine and Egypt and was crucified in Egypt.  Some scholars think he was a brother of Matthew.  Tradition tells us that he was cut into pieces after he was martyred.  The primary mention of this fellow is in Mark 15:40.

I don't know where this particular James got his nickname "the Less."  The Greek word used can mean either "small" or even "little" as in size or quantity.  It can also mean "young" in age, or even "short" with regards to time.  So, this particular follower of Christ was called "the Less" or "the Youth" or even "Shorty." 

Let that sink in for a minute.  This particular James was known either for his stature (he was short), or for his age (he was young).  Little is known about him (pardon the pun), and his life is overshadowed by James the brother of John and James the brother of Jesus.  We remember him as "the least" or "the youth," and details of his life and ministry are lost to us for the most part.

I don't know why this disciple keeps coming to mind.  It may simply be that something in me identifies with him.  Sometimes I feel like I live in the shadow of others (probably a result of being the middle child), and other times I feel almost invisible.  That isn't a cry for recognition, it is just an honest admission.

You know what I mean, don't you?  You spend a good portion of your life expecting to be or do something great, but when it is all said and done things don't seem to be what was expected. 

Now, I'm not saying this to get your support or sympathy, I'm simply trying to explain how I think James the Less must have felt.  He grew up with great expectations.  He was going to be or to accomplish something great.  He became a disciple-student of an itinerant rabbi named Jesus.  This rabbi hailed from Nazareth and had an unorthodox style about him.  He didn't have the credentials and the papers of the Pharisees, but he spoke with authority and did some amazing feats.

James tied himself to the school of this rabbi Jesus.  Shortly (ha) after joining, he found out he wasn't the only James following Jesus.  Since they had to distinguish, they called him "the Less" due to his youth or stature. 

James the Less . . .

He didn't lead the church in Jerusalem.  He didn't compete with John to sit at the right hand of Jesus.  He didn't get to go to the mount of Transfiguration or to the depths of the Garden when Jesus prayed.

Yet this James, "the Less," loved Jesus nonetheless.  He would die a martyr's death out of love for Christ.  He would give his life serving others. 

Even though he was never known as one of the better known or more popular disciples. 

Even though he was called "Shorty" or "Kid."

Even though he would always be "that other James."

He gave his life as a love offering to Jesus.

I'm humbled just to type the words.  How often do I compare myself to my friends, my colleagues, my brothers and sisters in Christ?  How often do I think I deserve more attention than I think I am receiving?

How unlike James the Less I am! 

I'm not real sure where I wanted to go with this short meditation.  I just know that this fellow haunts my mind.  I dreamed of him once.  I never saw his face, just saw him from the back.  He had no distinguishing features.  He didn't stand out.  He was "the less."

All I know is this--I have a long way to go to learn to walk in the humility of those early disciples.  I sometimes seem to be a long way off.

My Lord, show me how to love as James the Less loved.  Teach me to serve without expectation of recognition.

Okay, I'm done.  In fact, I'm undone.   I need to put this one on the shelf.  I thank God for the many people who have ministered to me who may well have been a "James the Less."  They were not recognized, and they may not even be known to me.

But God knows.  Just like Jesus knows James the Less.

He knows, and he loves them.  Their humble service blesses him as they imitate him.

May the humility of Christ be my goal and my guide as well.

Thanks for reading! 




No comments: