Tuesday, February 14, 2006

It's my birthday, and O'Charley's forgot the appetizer again!

Howdy!

In case you weren't aware, today is my birthday. Yep, I'm a Valentines baby! My mother's Valentine to the world, so to speak.

Anyway, having a birthday on a special holiday has its drawbacks. First, everyone buys you just one gift or card and says "This is for your birthday AND Valentines Day!" Second, try to go out to dinner on your birthday--everybody and their brother is out in the restaurants. Last year Lisa and I went to five different restaurants before we found one that wasn't full!

Speaking of restaurants, my family decided to take me to lunch today for my birthday. We went to O'Charley's (because I like it and the kids eat free!). Since it was a special occasion, I decided to order an appetizer (the Pepper Jack Cheese Wedges with marinara sauce!). Now, you have to understand that the only other appetizer experience I have had at O'Charley's involved the same appetizer. The only problem is that the appetizer never came. The waiter felt bad and gave us a coupon for a free appetizer. We went home happy. When we returned about a week later, however, the coupon wouldn't work. I don't know what happened, but it just didn't work. The poor waiter gave us a free entree for our problems.

Well, to make a long story even longer--today when my family took me to O'Charley's, I decided to tempt the appetizer gods by ordering one again. Guess what?

Yep!

It didn't come!

Lisa and I laughed out loud when our meals showed up and no appetizer was in sight.

Today, however, a manager type person was wandering around the restaurant. He stopped by our table and asked how our lunch tasted. My wife said, "Everything is great except for the appetizer we ordered. It never came!" She laughed, "In fact, this is the second time it has happened."

The much chagrined manager said, "I'm so sorry that this happened. I'll buy you an appetizer."

Within a few moments, there was the appetizer at no charge.

Of course, it was par for the course that on my birthday I'd have these problems.

It beats being stuck in the Charlotte airport. . .

Or getting lost in the mountains. . .

Or breaking down on the highway.

It was actually a good lunch and a good day.

It is my birthday, and I finally got my appetizer.

God is good. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.

God is STILL good.

Happy Valentines Day!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday friend.......take heart, you could be in Phoenix with 2 hour waits at Outback and crazy traffic with crazier drivers. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Much love to Lisa and the kids.
Michael