Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Seminary obsolete? I may soon be out of a job . . .

The following article by Michael Duduit is quoted from Preaching Now, volume 5, number 6. It has made me fearful for my job. After all, if they can sum up 3 years of seminary in one 700 page book, why do they need longwinded and boring professors like me? Read it and weep:

Who knew I was wasting three years?

All those years in seminary earning a Master of Divinity (not to mention the additional years on that silly Ph.D.) when now I learn that I could have bought one book and avoided all those term papers and exams.

I just read about a forthcoming book called The Portable Seminary, described as "A Master's Level Overview in One Volume." Even at 704 pages, it's going to have to be an overview from a pretty lofty elevation, given that I had single seminary classes with that much reading.

The publisher reports that this book is "Designed for anyone who wants an introduction to a seminary education but cannot afford the time or money to attend seminary, who lives where formal training is unavailable, or whose previous education is primarily secular." The publisher's catalog also says that it is "A user-friendly theological education without the time and expense of seminary."

Wow, who would have ever guessed you could skip through the hard work of preparation for ministry by reading one book? Personally, I am eagerly awaiting additional volumes such as The Portable Medical School and The Portable Law School, given that I don't have time or money to go to such places but am anxious to dabble in those noble professions. Maybe after that I'll pick up a copy of The Portable Engineering School and get a job designing airplanes and such.

Just so long as they're "user-friendly," of course. Who needs all that hard work, anyway?

Michael Duduit, Editor
michael@preaching.com
www.michaelduduit.com


This is an actual book that is actually being published. Bethany House Publishers has it listed with a July 2006 publicationn date. You can see more information about it on Amazon.com if interested.

All I can say is that I've missed my calling. I should write a book entitled Seminary for Dummies (Wayne, are you reading?) and cash in.

What's next? The Portable Brain Surgeon or the Portable Heart Surgeon?

Reading about this book made me think of Jethro Bodine off of the old "Beverly Hillbillies" TV show--"I don't know what I want to be Uncle Jed, but I'm either gonna be a fry cook or a brain surgeon."

I think that the publisher needs to add the following:

DISCLAIMER--Reading The Portable Seminary will NOT give you the equivalent of a Master of Divinity.


I'm at a loss for words! Someone write that down.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the book come with a 40 day program? Ah, the Purpose Driven Seminary. Do they have an abridged copy in the works? Oh well, Princeton is not what it once was.

If I'm not mistaken Baxter, Bunyan, and Spurgeon had little or no formal seminary training (Correct me if I am wrong). Isn't there a little one of them inside of each one of us?

Yes, teaching is no longer a reconized gift of the Spirit. It has been replaced by the one book program writing gift. Hay, wait a second, this is very Biblical: Proverbs 10:19 - When words are many, transgression is not lacking.

How ironic, a new book telling us not to bother about the old ones. Forget about Bunyan, Lewis (for you Dr. Percer), Spurgeon, Martyrs Mirror, Colin Brown, A.T. Robertson, A.W. Pink, d'Aubigne, or sermons by any of the SBC Presidents. Need I go on?

Well, I could go on, but I have to work on a paper for my M.A.R. Praise God for Liberty University.

Laura Springer said...

Actually, I just received my copy and honestly, it appears to be a handy encyclopedia of what I learned getting my MDiv. So, McSeminary comments aside, it may prove to be a useful addition to my library...only time will tell.