Thursday, March 29, 2007

Shhh, did you hear that?

In my readings today I saw how God answers Job and I read Peter’s description of how God produces salvation through faith and perseverance. Job has always fascinated me for several reasons. First, his sheer audacity and boldness in challenging God is amazing. Sure, his circumstances were not so good, and yes, God could have stopped them. Yet, Job was determined to have God hear his complaint.

I know I do that myself, though in my false humility I tend to think that I’m not as arrogant as I perceive Job to be. That lie is obvious in God’s response to Job in chapter 38—“Where were you, Job?” It’s a question that reverberates throughout Scripture. God asks a similar question to Adam and Eve, to Moses, to the prophets (especially Ezekiel), and in many ways to other people.

It is a legitimate question—where were you when God was planning things and making provisions for all the events of your life? Were you on an ash heap, scraping sores and complaining to your “friends?” Or were you hiding in the fig trees, covering up the sin that has been uncovered by your sinful acts? Or were you hiding in a cave, depressed because you were the only child of God left standing for the truth? Where were you, o Job?

God never sleeps, he watches over his creation to provide grace and provision for it every day. While we were nodding off, God was providing. While we caught 20 winks, God made it rain, brought the sun up, set up circumstances for your life so that today his grace would abound to you. God, how foolish of us to think we somehow had better plans than you. We all believe that sometimes, and it is as stupid as it is audacious.

The second thing I like about Job is his humility. Oh, he could be bold in complaint, but when accosted by the truth, he was humble enough to shut up. God shows up and essentially tells Job—“Child, I’m God and you’re not.” God speaks to Job out of a whirlwind, and I wonder how he and his friends felt when it showed up. Were they morbidly curious, frightened, excited, or just downright confused? I think sometimes that I want God to “give me a sign,” to show up and do something amazing. Yet when he appears, often it is in the quiet whisper or in the whirlwind life of everyday activities. And, here is the really odd part, that is the time I tend to miss him.

Yes, I miss it when God whispers to me because too often I am complaining too loudly to listen. Then he comes when life is hectic and I’m too busy to notice. Lord, give us the wisdom of Elijah and Job to sit still when you show up. Teach us to listen in silent adoration as you speak words of life to us. How we need your Spirit to protect our hearts and minds, to guide us in the way everlasting. Father, be the center of our activity today. No matter what ash heap or cave we find ourselves in today, help us to be attentive to your communications and to your presence.

Pay attention today--God may be whispering to you.

He may be shouting.

Listen.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Leo Percer said...

Joe:

Thanks for the comment! I tend to agree with you on several points, but as you note, don't have the space to go into the discussion here. So, we will chat further, maybe after class or on-line. Thanks for the insightful stuff! I love it when people make me think!

Unknown said...

Dr. Percer,

Great post, but the point that hit home the most to me has nothing to do with complaining. It is the stark contrast between the response of Job to God and the expected response of most people in society. Many of those around us are firmly convinced that everyone has an opinion, and every one is right. To some, the worst thing that could happen is to be proven wrong on something we hold as truth.

Job recognized his error of judging God (I'm sure that the voice of the Creator speaking back to him had something to do with that). In chapter 42 he states "surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too powerful to me to know."

I wonder if the story would have turned out differently if the setting was the 21st century? Would Job have been filled with rage that he was "unfairly" treated? Would God's response elicit a cry of self-justification? I can just imagine Americans today saying "Yeah, you created everything, but why did you make things difficult for ME? I've been a good person." I think even Christians today are quick to question the sovereignty of God when they pick up a newspaper or see hurting loved ones.

The takeaway for me is that there is value in recognizing God's omniscience. Instead of trying to justify my actions, I should simply acknowledge "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent." (42:5)

God bless,
-- Daniel

Leo Percer said...

Great point, Daniel! Thanks for responding!