Monday, March 05, 2007

A reality TV show reminds me that God will turn mourning into dancing, ashes to beauty . . .

Last night my wife and I watched with anticipation as the TV show Extreme Makeover: Home Edition built a home for the Tate family on Davis Island in Floriday. The Tates lost their home in a tragic accident last June when a plane crashed into their home and burned it down. They had no insurance and could not rebuild. The new home built by ABC is no doubt a blessing, and I think the Tates not only appreciate it but deserved it.

What was not well covered by ABC, however, is the fact that another family suffered loss in that tragedy. The Huisman family lost husband and father, Steve Huisman. His wife, Sonya, was left a widow with four children to raise. Although I know that Sonya does not expect ABC to do anything for her, I think it would have been a good thing for Ty and the crew to at least attempt to bless this family that lost a breadwinner, a father, and a husband all in on tragic event.

Of course, I am kind of biased because Steve Huisman was a good friend to me. One of the best friends I have ever had. I wanted my new readers to know his story, so I'm linking two posts form last June to this entry. They pretty adequately sum up how I am feeling today as I remember the loss of my friend.

Please pray for the Huismans as you read these posts. They can be found at these URLs: http://beyond-the-wardrobe.blogspot.com/2006/06/in-memoriam.html and http://beyond-the-wardrobe.blogspot.com/2006/06/and-now-song-from-jennifer-knapp.html.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: