Thursday, April 05, 2007

What's Love Got to Do with It?

In the spirit of Hebrews 10:24, I offer the following rant to incite others to love and good works. May we in this Easter season find ourselves like our Lord wrapping a towel of humility around our collective waists as we pursue the greatest job ever--loving those God has loved in a way that they do not expect.

Want more? Then read on brave soul!

Today as I was driving to work, I was listening to an old Dana Key CD (came out in 1995 with the title "Part of the Mystery"). Nothing to write home about, but he has one song on the album that really caught my attention. Let me share the lyrics of the song and a few thoughts with you all (if you don't mind). The song is "That's What Love is About." Here are the lyrics:

Kindra's bed is on the floor
Windows aren't safe
That's life in war

Sometimes through the night she counts
The times she hears the shots ring out
Kindra taught her self to steal
It's been three days since she's had a hot meal

Kindra's learning how to hate
Who'll save her life, before it's just too late
She's found an angel of mercy in her destiny
He said he came in the name of the Lord
Kindra don't pay me a thing

Chorus:
Pay with a smile or pay with a kiss
It's all a days work, that's what love is
Pay with a song or pay with a shout
It's part of my job cause
That's what love is about

Kindra's quite a lady now
Makes her home
In the south

Grateful for all that she's got
She's been blessed and owes a lot
She thinks back on her old life
Those tattered clothes, those tears at night

She hurts for that side of town
She's going back to lay her life down
They've got an angel of mercy in their destiny
She says she comes in the name of the Lord
Friend you don't owe me a thing (the girl said)

Chorus:
Pay with a smile or pay with a kiss
It's all a days work that's what love is
Pay with a song or pay with a shout
It's part of my job cause
That's what love is about

You really need to hear this song as it is played in all of its 90s glory, but I think that the basic ideas are obvious.

This song comes after a song entitled "Invisible Kingdom," a song that deals with the power of prayer and its seeming lack of prestige in today's society. Nonetheless, this song brings to mind certain things Jesus said about being a disciple of his.

Remember when Jesus took a child and set the child in the midst of his disciples? He encouraged his disciples to develop a child-like tendency to trust God (see Matthew 18:1-6). He says to them "Whoever humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones to stumble . . ." Well, you probably remember the rest.

Earlier Jesus had told his disciples that to offer others even a "cup of cold water" in the name of Christ was considered a good thing to do.

Jesus also encouraged and admonished his followers to serve one another, to outdo one another in being kind and in service.

"The one who serves is the greatest" says Jesus.

Do we really believe it?

I don't think so.

The reason that this song got my attention (I think) is that it reminded me of my call as a Christ-follower--I am to offer debt-free love and service to others with no expectation of reward.

I am to love as Christ loves.

I am to lay down myself so that someone else may live.

I am to live simply so that others may simply live.

That isn't the American dream, now is it?

What person in your community has gone three days without a hot meal? Who are the "little ones" in your area who are wounded, hurt, dispossessed?

Will you love Jesus enough to love them?

Steve Camp used to sing a song that said something like "Can we taste the tears that they cried?" The song deals with loving the unloveable, embracing the unembraceable, touching the untouchable.

Jesus did that. He walked right up to people with leprosy. He put his clean hands on their decaying flesh. He touched them. He loved them.

Will we?

Who are our modern day lepers? Are they the drug addicts? The alcoholics? The divorcees? The liberal democrats? The conservative republicans? The victim of cancer, aids, etc.?

Are they the orphans of war? The ones left behind by our refusal to care?

Finding them isn't hard--they are out there.

Loving them is harder. They may even share a home with us.

May we learn today to offer debt-free love and service. Like Jesus may we learn to take joy in the smiles and laughter we receive. May we even be willing to be killed by those we love, even while we love them anyway.

I'm sorry this topic seems heavy. I didn't mean it to be so hard.

I'm under conviction.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Bill said...

Hello Leo,

I'm Bill, Lisa's Michigan friend, married to Laura.

Good points . . . Now how do we move forward w/ this? How does this become real? I know you know Jesus said to abide in Him, apart from Him, we can do nothing. He says True Religion is to visit the widows and orphans . . .

Don't feel you have to apologize for being heavy, go for it!

Bill said...

Hello Leo,

I'm Bill, Lisa's Michigan friend, married to Laura.

Good points . . . Now how do we move forward w/ this? How does this become real? I know you know Jesus said to abide in Him, apart from Him, we can do nothing. He says True Religion is to visit the widows and orphans . . .

Don't feel you have to apologize for being heavy, go for it!

Leo Percer said...

Bill:

The best way to make this real is to follow the old Nike ad--"Just do it." If Christ is in us, then the drive to bless the "least of these" should be there as well. A great starting point is in your own home. Find things that will bless those with whom you share daily experiences. Go out of your way to serve them without expectation of receiving it in return. Do it because Jesus did it. I have more if you want. Drop me an e-mail!

Leo